Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Kristyn's Week

I think Samara's post below was really, really good (as is Jen's, but I'm guessing you've already read that one and saw how awesome it was). I don't know about you, but I am learning SO much. Read the notes below mine if you haven't had a chance yet.

Things I did/wished I had done differently:

1. Getting their attention. The second day I started off with an 1, 2, 3, eyes on me thing. I read about a kindergarten teacher who had amazing control of her class, and one big thing she stressed was a saying or whatever, and then practicing it a lot in the beginning of the year and at a time when she had their attention and everyone was happy. I think it was still kind of crazy on Wed, but I LOVED this idea and what it did for me, and I see a ton of potential in it. So, at the beginning of class I told them to look all over the place, and then I'd say 123, eyes on me, they would do it, and then I'd get all excited. We did this several times before the question of the day on Wed. All things considered, I think it worked really well.

2. Storytime. My books on Monday were a bad idea. Although I liked that I had picked things that had to do with the subject (starting school), they were way too wordy (Jen mentioned the same thing, live and learn, right?). On Wed I selected books - albeit things that had zero to do with our subject - that had very few words, and rhymed, since kids love rhythm. It was much better and I got through 3 books that day. I'll be sure to gt short books next time, or at least Cliffs Notes them.

3. Consistent reward system. Samara mentioned this, and I LOVE it. If the stickers work then I think we should run with it. Consistency is key with this age group and I'd love to have us all doing the same reward system!

4. Telling them things ahead of time. Samara mentioned this to me (I forget if she wrote it below) but one thing to do is to tell them exactly what we're doing, then have them do it, ie showing them a finished piece of artwork and say this is what we're making, rather than giving step by step instructions only. Also, saying things like we're going to read 3 books right now and I want all of you guys to show me how good you are and sit on your seats the entire time. I think if they know what we expect in every way then we'll get better results. Just like how below she said at the beginning of class she stressed what good kids they all were, etc. I really, really like this idea a lot. Maybe we could even tell them the rules, or what we expect, each time they come (keep hands to selves, sit on squares when I ask you to, etc.). At the beginning of my second day, after the 123 eyes on me bit, I told them that they could play in the backyard during free play time only, and not before, and the same with Thack's room. Then I quizzed them on it and asked a couple yes/no q's to make sure they got it. This worked. They didn't go in the yard or his room at all till play time. And that's obviously a lot less stressful than to tell them Don't do that! the whole time (and like was said, it's better to tell them what to do, not what not to do anyway).

5. Prep. I think next time I will try some of the activities with Thacks beforehand to get a better idea of how long things take. I waaaay underestimated my time frames. Also, some of the things I thought would be easy in my head, because that's what the woman on the website said she did, did not work for our age group (ie putting glue on a piece of paper). Jen put the glue on for them. Much better idea.


Kay that's all from me for now. :) Jen and Samara have both done a FANTASTIC job and I am so excited for how well this is turning out! It was a little crazy in the beginning, but I can already tell a difference in the kids. So great job you guys! And great job to our awesome kids!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad we are writing down our thoughts! I love that I will get to read through these again when it's my week again to remind me about all the great ideas/pointers we have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Kristyn- kudos to you for being brave and going first! Thanks for all the research you did on how to structure our days and types of activities we should do. I know that Julia is loving seeing her friends each week.

    ReplyDelete