Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Houdini Day

Or a day of Magic...three year old magic. Kainoa said that we should do a magic trick that would make Julia and Aidan get better. We missed you guys again! I'm getting a skewed perception of this preschool thing! It seems too easy with just 4 kiddos!

Back to the magic, they thought the food coloring in the water was pretty magical! And those little capsules that grow into foam shapes? Yeah, magic. Abracadabra is kind of a hard word to say. We practiced saying it, and I think they are all experts! We had magic wands and "changed" Thacker and Noah into things. Macie and Kainoa wanted to be doing the magic, and Thacker and Noah are pretty imaginative and make good bears and frogs!

The frequent short playtimes really do work wonders for attention spans and participation. I love them. Maybe it's the ADD in myself, but it works out very well for all of us. And, I think I might be sold on just doing it all myself without a helper. Crazy, I know, but I liked being the only adult. It could be that I feel like I can be a bigger dork with the kids, though. I want to try it again the next time around. I did only have 4, but I think it would work with all 6.

I am spoiled that I have always had the luxury of going outside to play. Sidewalk chalk is heaven. They loved it. We probably been fine with just that all day long.

We talked about magic, and even learned a few tricks. We made floating things jars, and attempted the disappearing thumb trick. {ask them about this one.}

After my second go around, I have learned:
Snacktime is the best time, as long as you have fruit loops and fruit snacks. It appeases everyone.

Dancing Time gets out a lot of wiggles.

Frequently stopping for a short 5 minute free play keeps their attention longer.

Having their letter squares or letters taped on their chairs is CRUCIAL.

Constant praise prevents outbursts and reduces bad behavior

Kids love to play.

They really do know their letters

Attention spans are a lot less than I thought. Having MANY activities is the best way to go

They REALLY like playdoh. Just the dough. No tools or anything.

When the parent of a child is the teacher, they always act up.

And the BEST lesson I have learned, SIMPLE IS BETTER.

1 comment:

  1. Kainoa had good time with the magic. He's way into that sort of stuff right now. "Abracadabra, Ala Kazam!" He always says.
    Glad things went good for you and you took advantage of having only 4 kids.
    Oh and loved your short lessons learned sentences at the end.

    ReplyDelete